SALEM, Va. – Host Roanoke College swept all six singles contests in an 8-1 Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) women’s tennis win over visiting Guilford College Sunday.
The Maroons (4-3, 1-1 ODAC) won two of three doubles contests in convincing fashion. Catherine Lee and Madeline Herring took an 8-1 second-doubles victory over the Quakers’ Makayla McLaurin and Brooklyn Hopkins, and Emma Barker and Carolyn Kitsock shutout Guilford’s Chandler MacDonald and Alex Giddens, 8-0. Guilford’s Katie Claggett and Nora Prokosch accounted for the Quakers’ point with an 8-4 triumph over Colette Wibaut and Emily Henderson at first doubles.
Roanoke won all six singles contests in straight sets. The closest match was at number-two singles where Herring pulled out a 7-5, 6-3 win over Guilford’s Prokosch.
Coach Dave McCain’s Quakers host Salem College Friday (3/24) at 3:30 p.m. in a nonconference match.
Tennis Match Results
Guilford vs Roanoke
Mar 19, 2017 at Salem, Va.
Roanoke 8, Guilford 1
1. Emily Henderson (RC) def. Katie Claggett (GC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Madeline Herring (RC) def. Nora Prokosch (GC) 7-5, 6-3
3. Catherine Lee (RC) def. Chandler MacDonald (GC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Emma Barker (RC) def. Makayla McLaurin (GC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Colette Wibaut (RC) def. Giddens (GC), by default
6. Lydia Dey (RC) def. Maureen Smith (GC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Katie Claggett/Nora Prokosch (GC) def. Colette Wibaut/Emily Henderson (RC) 8-4
2. Catherine Lee/Madeline Herring (RC) def. Makayla McLaurin/Brooklyn Hopkins (GC) 8-1
3. Emma Barker/Carolyn Kitsock (RC) def. Chandler MacDonald/Giddens (GC) 8-0
Guilford 1-8, 0-6 ODAC
Roanoke 4-3, 1-1 ODAC
Old Dominion Athletic Conference match